Wednesday, March 28, 2012

What is Love?


When do you know about the one? I’m not talking about an answer or a philosophical rendering of finding an idea but of finding a soul to share everything with; to completely be yourself with. Yes, I’m talking about the one thing that no one has really pinned down; the idea of love. Some couples “just know”, others are good friends first. What does it really mean, love? When I was growing up it seemed the word had lost its aura; it’s meaning. When girls would write notes to middle school sweethearts they would often end it in “lots of love”. When a girl was thanking a guy friend for setting up some shelves or something she might throw out an “I love you”.
I was always taken aback by it because I had only ever said that word to people of great importance to me. Family mostly; never to a friend of a couple of months. I couldn’t grasp how you could throw a word that seemed so deep and all encompassing into the most mundane of tasks; “I love this food..” even seemed a little too over the top for me. I thought that the word had lost its luster or maybe I’m just an archaic version of a gentleman. But, as you sit back and look at something else you begin to see other things related to the topic.
I found myself thinking of defining the word love. “Passionate and tender devotion”; “to make love”….I thought; if we use it in something to describe the act of sex is it really something that should be reserved or in treasured usage? Or is it different to say, “I had sex” instead of saying, “we made love”. Is there a point where your devotion transcends the physicality of sex and, the act itself, no longer becomes sex but enters a whole new realm of definition? Just like this paragraph my thoughts swirled and the word “love” seemed even more out of context then before. I couldn’t believe, for a second, that love could be associated with just “sex”. Sex is so common spread this day and age; it happens spontaneous sometimes and nothing of the souls needs to be known. It is often an act of lust. Is this it? When it is no longer about lust but more about the connection of two souls does sex become love? WHAT IS LOVE?????
I haven’t had a relationship that I can pin down as being close to what I think is love.  All I can say is that love seems too poetic of a word to just encompass the physical. A kindred, universal idea is what is needed to encompass the definition of love. WHAT IS LOVE????
When you find someone that completes the puzzle of your mood. This someone is always the missing piece and, it seems, when you look back on it; there was no other soul that could have fit into the puzzle. You and the other person come together as naturally as the fact that “the body needs water” or “one plus one is two”. Love is unexplainable when it is not there but it is the most natural feeling you will ever have when it comes along. Nothing will ever feel so right then love. 

2 comments:

  1. Actually Love had nothing to do with Lust or Sex. Love is a willingness to sacrifice, to respect, to forgive and to do this all without a reward. Love comes from the heart and Lust and Sex can only make Love deeper,,, Love You

    ReplyDelete